Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Chesterton comments on Mark, Jane, and N.I.C.E.

One theme both main characters and the staff of N.I.C.E.  has displayed so far is a near-pathological unwillingness to commit to anything. Jane is terrified of getting tied down in anything (including her marriage). Mark wants to keep his options open to protect himself financially. The staff of N.I.C.E. are unwilling to firmly commit to a job position or responsibilities of new employees.

In his essay collection The Defendant, Chesterton addressed the modern aversion to commitment. I link to it here for our discussion.

A Defense of Rash Vows by G.K. Chesterton

I fear I may not have this weekend's post ready in time. Various factors this week have conspired to keep me from reading much of anything. If not, I promise I will have the discussion post up for next Saturday. I swear to it.


UPDATE: Civil Truth shares that the Lewis Society of California is having a Zoom discussion of That Hideous Strength at 10 PM (Eastern) tonight. If you'd like to join, follow this link (requires you to have Zoom installed) [Link removed as expired].

No comments:

Post a Comment